About Zero & One
The game follows two robot friends, Zero and One, who have crash-landed on an abandoned planet. In order to escape, they must make their way through the ruined remains of the planet to get back to their ship. On the desolate grey planet, bits of green remain in sprouts that have somehow survived. As Zero and One proceed towards their spaceship, they help regrow life on the dead planet.
Zero & One is a cooperative puzzle-solving adventure game. The key mechanics are platforming, collecting resources, and solving puzzles. Each player controls a robot that can move, jump, and use a resource. For Zero, the resource is water, and for One the resource is light. Players work together in order to solve puzzles and advance towards their ship.
- Created and balanced mechanics between all levels
- Designed level flow and gameplay within and between the different levels, such that players learned new mechanics gradually and the puzzles increased in complexity over the course of the game without a sudden change in difficulty
- Implemented solutions to increase conveyance to the player in a game with no text or voice over. This included designing animating joysticks to demonstrate directional aiming and careful level design that required players to learn cooperative game mechanics before they encountered complicated puzzles
- Worked closely with artists and programmers to create objects whose intended use was obvious to the players
- Supported the team by putting in extra effort to complete their wishlist features
What Went Right
What Went Wrong
What We Learned